Remember Our Heroes!
Ross County Veterans Service CommissionRoss County Veterans Service Commission

Ross County Veterans Service Commission          





Governor's Office of Veterans Affairs

Ohio Revised Code Section 5901

Ohio Veterans Home

Department of Veterans Affairs

Health Adm.

Benefits Adm.

Cemetery Adm.

VA Medical Center Chillicothe

VA Medical Center Dayton

VA Outpatient Clinic Columbus

VA Healthcare 
System of Ohio

American Legion


American Veterans

of Foreign Wars

Vietnam Veterans 
of America

E-Mail the 
Service Commission

Ross County Ohio Website

This page 
last edited:


Veterans Service Commission
In 1886, the Ohio legislature passed an act establishing the soldier's relief commission for the purpose of assisting Honorably Discharged Veterans and their minor children, spouse, and widows, who have met with an unexpected hardship resulting from lack of employment, illness or injury. On May 19, 1986, the Soldiers Relief Commission was renamed the Veterans' Service Commission.  Each of the 88 counties in Ohio has a board of five honorably discharged veterans appointed to administer veteran programs in their respective county. Operating expenses are provided through county real estate taxes. 

Ross County Veterans Service Commission
ADDRESS: 475 Western Avenue, Suite "C"
PHONE: (740) 772-1600  
FAX: (740) 772-1614 
HOURS: Monday -  Friday, 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
VSO - David Wrightsel
Ass't VSO - Robert Stack
Office Staff:
Johna Pulver
Reda Brock

Veterans Service Commission
Robert Barnhart - American Legion
Ray Pryor - Vietnam Veterans of America
Vacant - Disabled American Veterans
Robert Ball - Amvets
Harold Blosser - Veterans of Foreign Wars

While the Veterans Service Commission is not funded by, or associated with the Federal Department of Veterans Affairs, our Service Officers assist veterans and their families with VA claims. 

The Veterans Service Commission is legislated by the State of Ohio under the Ohio Revised Code, ORC 5901 and funded by Ross County property taxes.

Ohio is the only state that provides such comprehensive support and services to its veterans.  In each of 88 counties, the Veterans Service Commission is a county agency dedicated to aiding veterans in times of need.  There are three services the agency provides:

  • Emergency financial assistance to eligible veterans and family members who have demonstrated a need.
  • Assistance when dealing with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).  The Veterans Service Office represents and assists veterans, spouses, dependent children, surviving widows, and parents of deceased veterans entitled to D. I. C., when they apply to the VA for benefits.
  • Transportation to and from VA medical facilities.

Eligibility Requirements
Veterans who qualify for assistance must have served in the United States Armed Forces, be on active duty for reasons other than training or, have received a VA recognized service-connected disability and were discharged under honorable conditions. Qualified veterans and family members must be residents of the State of Ohio and residing in Ross County for 3 months immediately prior to application for assistance.

To be eligible for financial assistance, definite financial need must be demonstrated. The Veterans Service Commission considers many factors when determining financial need, including income, living expenses, and all liquid assets. 
To be eligible for emergency financial assistance, a definite financial need must be demonstrated.  The wording of the law states that assistance is intended for the "indigent", meaning people suffering a level of poverty in which real hardship and deprivation are suffered and comforts of life are lacking.

Questions?  Call us at 740-772-1600 or click here to email us!

Emergency Financial Assistance: 
Financial Assistance within the Veterans Service Commissions provides short-term basic living needs to eligible veterans, spouses, dependent children and widows on an emergency basis.  These benefits include: 

  • Assistance with rent and mortgage payments
  • Food orders
  • Personal Hygiene and Clothing orders
  • Aid with payment of utility bills
  • Medical expense
  • Indigent veterans burials
  • Veteran grave markers

If you are a veteran or the family of a deceased veteran in need or if you believe you have a claim for VA benefits, we encourage you to call the Veterans Service Commission. 

Veterans Service Officer:
The Veterans Service Officer is a link between the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and veterans who are interested in applying for VA benefits. Our staff can assist the veterans and their family members with a variety of services such as: 

  • Disability Pension
  • Widow's Pension  Service and Non-Service Connected Compensation Home Loan Guaranty
  • Health Care  Education Life Insurance
  • Vital Records
  • Discharge/DD-214s
  • Ohio Veterans Home Applications

Documents needed when filing for...

Emergency Financial Assistance

  • DD214 (or equivalent)

  • Proof of residency

  • Proof of household income

  • Copies of all current monthly bills

  • Landlord statement, if applicable

Benefits, Compensation or Pension

  • DD214 (or equivalent)

  • Proof of household income

  • Marriage Certificate

  • Divorce Certificate (of all past marriages;  veteran and spouse)

  • Birth Certificate(s)

  • Death Certificate;  veteran/spouse

  • Proof of Social Security Number;  Veteran/Spouse/Dependent children


Mission Statement

The mission of the Ross County Veterans Service Commission is to provide direct and indirect financial and other assistance to eligible veterans and their dependents who have met with an unexpected hardship resulting from illness, injury, or lack of employment.  The Commission also assists in initiating claims for benefits and obtaining documents to substantiate proof for those benefits; provides transportation to VA Medical facilities; procures grave markers for honorably discharged veterans as well as burials for those who are indigent.

South Central Ohio Homeless Veterans Committee (SOCO VET)

Not-for-profit dedicated to serving homeless and needy veterans and, in some cases family members, of the Ross and Pike County areas. The organization has been in existence since 1992. Through the operation of not-for-profit golf course and the sponsoring of an annual walk-a-thon the organization is able to provide the following types of service.

  • Emergency rent assistance

  • Emergency rent deposit assistance

  • Car repairs for veteran to get to work

  • Emergency utility payments

  • Transportation assistance to work or medical appointments

  • Clothing/shoes when necessary

  • Cther services that may be deemed necessary for veterans

Veterans In Transition Incorporated

Not-for-profit organization dedicated to serving in need veterans of the State of Ohio. This organization provides assistance to those veterans in need to aid in gaining civilian careers. This organizations is supported by grants, donations and fund raisers.

The following types of services may be provided:

  • Examination fees for state or federal licenses for civilian careers.

  • Fees for state or federal licenses for civilian careers

  • Fees for training programs (short term) to prepare for civilian

  • Career licensing or certification

  • Fees for civilian skills certifications

  • Tools associated with and necessary for civilian employment

  • Clothing and uniforms, shoes, necessary for employment

  • Temporary transportation or lodging where necessary for civilian careers.

  • Car repairs, if necessary for employment

  • Temporary transportation if necessary for employment

Contact for both organizations:  Ray Pryor or 

Office number (740) 947-7754.

Veterans News
 Information Service